Important Legal Information

Frequently Asked Legal Questions

What do I do if I have a warrant?

Your first call should be to an attorney in our office. At that time, we will set up a consultation where we develop a strategic plan to walk you into court in order to clear the warrant. Once the warrant is clear, we can discuss your options for resolving your case effectively.

What is a civil infraction?

A civil infraction is a traffic offense that is punishable by a fine only. Also, a finding of responsibility in some civil infractions require points be abstracted to a persons driving record.

Should I just pay the ticket instead of fighting it?

No, by unless it was written up an offense that doesn’t get abstracted. By paying the ticket, you lose that chance to fight it and ultimately, have it dismissed or reduced. You possibly risk having your insurance rates increase.

How long do points stay on your driving record?

Points stay on a persons Michigan driving record for two years from the date the ticket gets abstracted.

What is a misdemeanor?

A misdemeanor is a crime punishable by a maximum jail time of one year or less. Most misdemeanors are punishable by 93 days.

What is a felony?

A felony is a crime punishable by a potential term of incarceration for more than one year. This can include jail or prison time.

What is District Court?

All Civil Infractions are handled here. All criminal cases for persons 17 years or older begin in the district court. For Misdemeanor cases, it is the trial court for all misdemeanors for which punishment does not exceed one year. For Felony cases, District Courts handle the initial arraignments and conduct preliminary examinations. All charges issued under a local city ordinance are handled in District Court and are prosecuted by the local city attorney. Landlord Tenant lawsuits, small claims lawsuits, and civil lawsuits seeking up to $25,000 are decided in District Court.

What is Circuit Court?

Circuit Court has three divisions: Criminal (where all felony and high misdemeanor trials are conducted; appellate court for District Court criminal rulings); Civil Court (civil lawsuits over $25,000, or seeking injunctions/other equitable relief), and Family Court (all family law, personal protection orders, and child protection proceedings, and Juvenile Delinquency matters. Also, Probate Court.