Child Support

Learn About Child Support From Our Experienced Divorce Attorneys

Child support is an obligation that includes payment for the general care and needs of a child, medical support, and child care expenses. It is based on the policy that both parents are legally obligated to provide financial support for their child or children even if that child does not live with them.

Child support is often paid by the parent who does not have custody of the child and is used to ensure the care of the child is monetarily taken care of. Child support may also be a factor in a joint custody situation usually when one of the parents has a significantly higher income than the other.

How is Child Custody Determined in Michigan?

Child support arrangements are usually made during a divorce or separation. The amount a parent is required to pay is determined by the court and differs depending on each person’s individual situation. Several factors are taken into consideration when deciding how much child support will need to be paid. Some of these factors include:

  • Income
  • Child care expenses
  • Health care expenses
  • Time spent with the child

Generally the court will require that child support money be paid to the court or the governing state child support enforcement agency that will then pay the money to the other parent to ensure the money actually makes its way to the person who is entitled to it. In most states, child support obligations end when the child turns 18.

Obtain Child Support Guidance From Trusted Michigan Family Lawyers

Child support cases are often complex and best handled with the help of a professional. To ensure that your child gets the support they need, it is advisable to contact one of our family attorneys to oversee your case for you. With over 60 years of collective legal experience, it is our mission to fight hard for our clients to provide them with the best possible outcome for their particular situation.


Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Phone Number (required)


Your Question